How did BTS 'So What' saved me (for real)

The title sounds really clickbait but I assure you that it is not. This is a story of how a music track actually changed the way I looked at things and helped me emotionally and psychologically a few months ago. I have never shared with anyone before but I thought it will be enlightening to share after mustering some courage to post this. My grammar and English are not the best so I pardon for any errors below 😓


ImgoodImdonek Tumblr

I am no ARMY. I am an avid fan of BTS and their music with their stage performances since their debut track 'No More Dreams'. I remembered the day that I really paid attention to their performances on Youtube for the first time was 'Boy In Luv' where they performed on Music Core with V particularly standing out with a red-black checkered outfit. Back then, I was hoping for this group to hit big because their songs such as 'One Fine Day' were really good. I have heard many amazing things about how BTS music actually helped many of their fans in their lives but I was skeptical about it myself because of my own doubtful nature about almost everything in life (I am sorry!) but one day, well, things changed.



Music Core Official Youtube Channel

As a current university student pursuing a degree in a highly competitive environment, (in Asia, as expected), I was very stressed at the end of last year to find a job as I am graduating in about a year's time. My brother, who is two years older than me, had already received a job position at a distinguished global bank with a relatively high starting salary. I was struggling a lot internally because I have to manage the expectations of the people around me and myself. What if I could not find a job? What if I am chatised upon?


The true issue lies in: I don't know what I want to do in life. I have no ambitions like my brother who wanted to become a banker, I have no opportunities to pursue my own dreams. My parents always tell me to quit my dreams and start finding a realistic one for real. My friends would tell me that my university results are great but So What? With all the stress that I had accumulated from everything, I started to break down internally and constantly have trouble sleeping at night for weeks. At school, I kept my own professional smile that everything is fine and that my friends would never see any vulnerabilities of mine. Even my closest friends would never know what I was going through; they will see only the best of me but will never get the best of me because of all the things that are breaking down inside then. And I feel that I almost had enough of this (I thought I would omit some sensitive content about my thoughts here). It was when their music came in.



BTS 'EPILOGUE : Young Forever' MV

I woke up one morning with my eyes swelled (again). And being a good old student, I turned on my laptop and wanted to complete my school assignments. Being a constant listener to BTS' music, I played 'So What' on Spotify. I have heard this song numerous times in my playlist but I have never fully understand its lyrics and meaning. That was when I decided to go on Genius.com to read about its lyrics. I was shocked because it resonated so much with me. At that moment, I immediately teared up while I read the lyrics repeatedly.


In a sigh, lots of worries are hiding

Stop thinking about it, You already know it all
In the middle of the road, in the moment you want to give up
Shout out louder
So what, what, what (Verse 1)

Even if you’re in danger on the boundary

Let’s cut through the wind while laughing and chatting
Sometimes run like a fool
With mistakes and in tears, we just go (Pre-Chorus)

- BTS, So What



BTS 'Love Yourself: Tear' Album Cover

Their lyrics struck something in my heart. There were so many penned-up worries about my future and my self that it was hard to deal with at times but the lyrics said that we can still find joy and be happy in our current situation as we wish to, because so what? Our worries have no answers (by Jin) and we could let go of them and fight for our lives for real. It was mind-bloggling to realize that the words in the song could actually comfort me, for real.


So what

Don’t stop and worry yourself
It’s good for nothing
Let go
Although there’s no answer yet
You can start the fight.

- BTS, So What


RM's rap also reads: "Since the brake is broken, step on the accelerator...Pain is my medal. So, so what?"


I thought about this sentence really hard because there are two paradoxes here: a broken brake and an accelerator; then, pain and medal. The lyrics was asking the listener to deal with his or her broken situation and emerge as a champion of the pain at the same time. And this could only be done by letting go of the negativities in life and start seeing joy in everything. It was then that I started to see light in my life. So what if my current life is this way? I can still find the good in my life if I choose to.


My favorite parts of the track are actually the intro and outro where both read:


Somebody call me right one.

Somebody call me wrong.
I’m not gonna care about it.
Why don’t you not do so as well.

At the outro, it was almost like Jimin was speaking to me personally to my heart, which was very comforting. I took off my headphones and started pondering about the lyrics again, and it was when I decided that so what? I will live my life the right way that I deem to and be happy in the every little things that I go through. We are born to enjoy our lives and we should. Right now at this moment, I am not successful or established as the society would see today but I am successful in myself because I choose to be contented with what I have now. Indeed that we should live young, wild and free. How many 10 years do we have? Not many. And that is why I wanted to write this.


This is no motivational writing nor a professional column. It is nothing mind-blowing or impressive on its own. But I simply want to say a thank you to BTS and their team for producing great music all this long, and specifically this song. It has helped me immensely and I am living my life more differently now. I am still trying but at least I know I am not alone on this journey. Perhaps, no more. And I hope it brightens up your day just by a little bit. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HANTEO Chart numbers are free for International fans! Tutorial on how to sign up on Hanteo to view your artists' realtime and total album sales!

The secret to PRODUCE 101's continued success after four seasons